Monday, February 05, 2007

Button teaser

Last night I was in bed reading Creative Quilting: the Journal Quilt Project and in particlar a piece about Israeli quilter Rachel Roggel who claims ( I am sure it is a true claim) to have collected 80,000 buttons over 10 years. I wanted to know how much space that took but neither Dennis nor I could work it out. I blamed it on the lateness of the hour but today I still can't quite get my head around it. I did consider signing up for a Quilt University course on Maths for Quilters and Dennis told me I didn't need it. Wrong! (Mind you I am not sure it would have covered storeage estimates. Although that's probably a real issue for most quilters.)

So saying that each button averages an inch in diameter and is one eighth of an inch thick (such estimate being based on the dimension of pyjama buttons) and saying that they were kept stacked up in drawers the size of our bedroom ones, which are about 3 feet by 1.5 feet, how many of those drawers would it take to store 80,000 buttons?

Answers on a comment post please.
Really - I have a strange nagging desire to know. I don't know why.


Also Rachel's website has some great art quilts with buttons on - check out the link on her name above. They make me want to collect buttons..... perhaps that's why I have that strange desire to know the storage required....!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

As I head out the door for Sydney, I can't help you with the maths thing BUT do have a look at Caity's blog banner which features beautiful green buttons.