Sunday, June 01, 2008

Journal making


I have a new passion! I have been eagerly awaiting Sue Bleiweiss's Fabric Journal making class which officially starts tomorrow ( 2nd). I was delighted when she posted the first lesson early meaning that it was available on a weekend day rather than a (supposed) work day. ( I couldn't guarantee how much work would have got done tomorrow if the lesson had arrived into my email box early on!Given that I have been so jaded over the level of instructions I have been getting on my City and Guilds course I was a little apprehensive as to whether the lesson would be worth the cash. I can report that it most certainly is. Clear instructions that work with plenty of photos and at just £26 for 5 classes, good value indeed.
The only disaster was because I assumed that, for the purposes of ironing fusibles, baking paper ( greaseproof paper) would be the UK equivalent of parchment paper. Once I had fused the paper to my fabric I realised that it was clearly not. Ooops!
I have been limited in my papges embellishment becuase my paper stash consisted of three sheets and a packet of card squares... clearly that is now going to change pretty soon! Now if you will excuse me I have to go and web surf for paper shops and maybe make just one more.....

3 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Fantastic! Do you need some parchment paper? I can send you some.

Anne Wigfull said...

Lovely stuff, you've convinced me to try this course, thanks! The UK equivalent to parchment is called various things but has silicone in it I think. Sainsburys sell it as "Non stick greaseproof baking paper" which is a bit misleading and doesn't mention silicone. It is brownish and very effective. I hope they still sell it as I'm coming to the end of my roll. The backing paper on Bondaweb works as well. Can't speak for other supermarket chains but I think Lakeland sell a similar product.

Digitalgran said...

Those are lovely journals Helen. I've also done the course with Sue and she's a great, inspiring tutor! I have bought a product that works from Lakeland called non-stick baking parchment roll and it says it works out at 16 per metre. The same piece can be used many times over too.