Friday, August 14, 2009

Recommendations sought

This is a picture of a bird. I think it might be a guinea fowl but I am only basing that on the fact that it looks like the applique birds in the Quilt Africa book. That's about as near to ornithology as I get. Anyway this bird and a gaggle (go on then, email me about the correct collective noun for applique birds) of faster ones were running around the local lavender farm when, on my playcation, we called into see if their tatty cafe was any less tatty. It was not. We did not stay.


Whatever this bird is, it has nothing to do with this post. Save of course for the bit of the post which is about the fact that the bird is nothing to do with the post. But better not to go there.


This post is about the fact that I have reached the end of the Internet. Those of you who use Google Reader will understand. It ought to be a great relief as, when I had 334 unread posts on Google reader I did feel a bit overwhelmed. However, I confess that I have been weeding down my list, taking out those blogs of which I had tired a little. It felt good to have a little spring clean. Nothing personal about the writers but some blogs which were promising had deteriorated into topics that held less interest for me.


But now I have that white screen, blank save for the stark notice that I have no friends left, I mean, that I have read all my blogs. So, do me a favour will you? Because I have time and inclination to read some good blogs but no time or inclination to trawl through every link on your side bars, (Yup, I'm lazy- so sue me for it.) I'd like it if you recommended one or two of your very favourite blogs that you think I might like. Well written, informational blogs low on baby and pet content. Not even just quilting blogs. Just really good ones. Maybe someone reads a bird watching blog....

8 comments:

June Calender said...

You're right, guinea fowl! I'm out recommendation-less today.

floribunda said...

Well there is a guy in Kent who has a bird- and moth-watching blog... in fact it amazed me how many birds he found there. But I would need to root around to find a link for you. You know what it says wen you get to the end of the internet, right? "go read a book or something"

Donna said...

Can't recommend much right now -- summer reading has been pretty "thin" in blog land. I so feel like weeding through my lists and getting it re-focused, but am waiting for the fall and people to stop with their holiday/summer stuff so I can remember what it is about their blog I like! :-) Good luck...

Margeeth said...

You are right, it is a guinea fowl. I know that in dutch they are called parelhoen (fowl with pearls), which translates in latin as Numididae, which translates in english as guinea fowl.

Evelyn said...

I like the "Turning*Turning" blog (http://turningturning.com/) - her posts almost always have me thinking about the topic long after I've read them.

Anonymous said...

my blog is the most boring on the www at the moment. i am so bored by it all i can hardly sit upright. so, no. no recommendations.

Judy said...

Helen,

If you want a different slant on life try We Three Ginger Cat Tales, cant live without it. No quilting there though.

Brenda said...

Since I know you have a passion for Africa, you might enjoy reading my sister Amy's blog www.amyandpaulinlondon.blogspot.com as she and her husband head the long way back to New Zealand from London via Afria. Last posted from Kenya.