Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Educating America

My Cliff Richard Post on Sunday threw up an interesting geographical anomaly. Everyone commenting in the world - except Americans - knew who Cliff was and why being seen at a concert might be a secret one would keep.


Now, I like my American readers very much and have no desire to alienated them. I also know that although Cliff did release. So I am not saying that this ignorance is akin to the time when George Bush asked Charlotte Church* in which state Wales was. But, I'd just like to point out that Cliff - Sir Cliff in fact - is the highest selling UK singles artist ever. That's more than The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Madonna, Elton John, Michale Jackson, Queen, ABBA, Paul McCartney and David Bowie, who rank in the top ten in that order. Bet you have heard of them haven't you?!

He holds the record with Elvis as the only act to make the UK singles charts in all of its decades in existence and is the only singer to have had a number 1 in five consecutive decades.



And seeing as competition was started in my comments list by a waitress in Perth who got to actually touch him, I shall confess further. I once appeared on BBC Radio 1 with him in a phone in when I was about 13 or so. In order to get on to talk to him you had to write in with the question you wanted to ask. I made an envelope collaged with photos of him and entwined his song titles into the text of my letter. Thinking about it, maybe there was a latent Twelve by Twelve artist there all along! And my question: the boring ( but suitable for a churchgoing teen) how did you get involved with Tearfund? That's the Evangelical Alliance Relief Fund, the overseas development charity with which he has been very involved.

Why am I telling you all this? Mostly because I have been to London for the day - well, the afternoon to be precise -and, having over estimated the cross - London travel time am now loitering in the lounge with free internet and nothing better to do.

Finally, for those who are trying to get to know me via my posts (Hi Gerrie!)- no I no longer attend the church I blogged about on Sunday. I have no problem with those who do and retain a love of 'happy clappy' gospel music but these days prefer a personal spirituality which is more open to all faiths.



* No I am not posting to explain who she is - Google her. But the only time I saw her in concert was in Boston so maybe you do know....!

5 comments:

Gerrie said...

Well, thank goodness, you are no longer an Evangelical Christian. But, I knew that, intuitively.

Erica Spinks said...

Oh Helen, this is a very sad thing. Cliff Richard? Good grief.

Denise in PA said...

I live in Pennsylvania and I know Cliff Richard!! I loved him (I am dating myself, aren't I-LOL)

Terry Grant said...

No, sorry, never heard of Cliff Richard, but I went to his web site and listened to him sing for a moment. Ummmmm. Not my cup of tea--or slice of cheese, as it were. Not that I don't love British pop music. God bless the UK for sharing the Beatles, The Stones and Elton John!

Word verification was "ranticl"--kind of a musical rant?

Terry Grant said...

Oh, and back to your previous question. The first record I ever bought (with my saved allowance) was a 45 single of Elvis Presley's Love Me Tender. I still have it. I would probably be valuable if it wasn't cracked. It is hanging on a little nail in my laundry room. It reminds me of how old I am!