Monday, March 01, 2010

Not much to show for a month..

Despite my having a month at home and off work there is not really that much quilting stuff to show for it. I do think I work more productively with less rather than more time. Of course I have been doing other time consuming stuff like househunting as well.

So this is what there is so far:
A wallhanging with aboriginal fabrics and handdyes by Lisa Walton. This will be on show at the relocated Trentham Gardens quilt show ( now at Utoxeter Racecourse on 9th - 11th April) Its not really wonky - its just that Dennis was holdig it up for me - not the best way to photograph it.
Some details for you.

I have discovered I really like mixing machine quiting with hand quilting/ embroidery in perle threads.
This is another one with aboriginal fabrics in progress - I started it at class in Penrith but spent far more
time talking so mot much progress so far!
I think yiou may have seen this small art quilt before. It is based on maori korowai (raincapes).
Then last night I made this - it is an unfinished top only so far - the eads are not yet attached just being auditioned and it needs a lot of stitch and embellishment yet.
And these blocks now actually have been assembled and borders put on ready for some applique on the borders - but frankly I am too lazy to go and rephotograph it! The fabrics were all collected in the north of the south island of New Zealand, so between Nelson and Christchurch.
And of course I have also completed my Twelve by Twelve challenge quilt in blue, white and black which will be revealed later today UK time as the US wakes up to the Ist March!

9 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

Wow, that top quilt is gorgeous. And I'm liking all your other projects too!

Rachel said...

I certainly recognise the "I talked too much and didn't do very much" situation - but it usually means a really great and inspiring session!

Kristin L said...

It looks like you HAVE been rather busy. I love teh two pieces with wavy lines and aboriginal fabrics. You talked in your 12x12 piece about inspiration and appropriation and cultural awareness. I think that those two pieces show an appreciation of the fabrics without appropriating teh accompanying cultural practices that would not have been "you" anyway.

Terry Grant said...

Wonderful stuff. Ditto everything that Kristin said. Those wavy line pieces are quite enchanting.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That looks like a lot of progress to me. I've been thinking about doing a portrait quilt, but have been too scared to try in case it doesn't look like the person. Maybe I should start with a silhouette quilt first.

Karen said...

I think you've been very busy this month, I really like the aboriginal look.

Lisa Walton said...

Thanks for turning my hand dyes into something so beautiful

Judy Rys said...

The movement created with the understated circles is wonderful.

California Fiber artist and composer said...

I can't believe how much you got done in a short time. I love your use of the souvenir fabrics and look forward to seeing more on your City and Guilds blogs