Monday, June 07, 2010

Cupcakes and company

On Friday I  went to visit Working Mum on the Verge and her delightful daughter. (You know the kind - the daughter that can hold a sensible and interesting conversation, does not whinge and whine and can sit and eat a full meal at table. The only kind of child I like!) Working Mum and I have been friends since were eight. her family moved around the corner from mine, she came to my primary school and the teacher said we had to be friends. And so we were. I have photos of her as Aladdin in the school play and memories of her taking breaks from exam revision  to paint her nails with polka dots. We were even at the same University but lost touch after that as she moved to Manchester to begin her married life.
The reconnection is entirely internet based. By some weird co-incidence my room mate from my first year at University ended up working at Working Mum's school and reads my blog. WM and Roommate vaguely recognised each other, put the pieces together and so WM arrived as a commenter on my blog and I got to go and sample her cupcakes.  And talk to her daughter who has smart and unanswerable answers to visitors who ask stupid questions:
   "So why do you like horses so much?"
   "Becuase God just made me to like horses."

Then on arrival home Diane and I discovered the joys of Skype video calling and was able to oggle each others stash transatlantically for free. Better, I was sharing my plans to buy some Crazy Daisy china and Diane, in searching for a picture of the design as we talked,  found me a store in the Uk selling it at cheaper prices than any I had seen. You gotta love the internet!




PS: To Lurking Roommate: Did I drive you very mad that first year?

3 comments:

Erica Spinks said...

Skype is seriously cool. Give me a bell erica0537 if you ever want someone different to talk with.

Margeeth said...

The kind of child you like is a rare kind of child, your friend is happy to have one. I know this because most of the times both my children are the same, which makes it quite a shock when the are not themselves for some reason and start doing the whining, whingeing and all the other stuff or when they have friends over that doing this. They do however fight a lot, I guess that can't be prevented them being brothers very close in age, but if they do this in a place where it doesn't bother me (for instance in their rooms and not at the table while we are eating), I just ignore them and let them fight it out, this has turned out to be the best way to deal with this.

Working Mum said...

What a lovely post. Thank you for the kind comments about my daughter - I assure you she isn't always that well behaved!

And I had so forgotten about the polka dot nails!